Wednesday, January 20, 2010

CREATING A HEART TREE ~ chasing away the post holiday blues


Last week, as I began to take down holiday decorations … snow and cold temps keeping me indoors, I decided that I really was not ready to put away my tree. I stripped the lights and dug out my Valentine decorations from the basement.

Inside I found a few wooden heart shaped napkin holders. I thought, “M-mmm, these sorta look like tree ornaments”. And then the light bulb went off and gg’s “heart” tree was born. I quickly found some hand-made papers that I had created a few years ago from glue, ribbons and heart designed paper napkins. This technique is referred to as Crazy Paper or Serendipity Paper.  

 

 
I cut up the paper in the shape of hearts, added some ribbon and wha-la. Later, I added a few hand-painted wooden heart shaped ornaments and a few rubber stamped tags. Rubber stamps I used were: “Floral Document Heart” by Christine Adolph, “Women” By I Break for Stamps and and “Girls Rule” by Tim Holtz.For good measure, I added some pink and red artificial roses near the trunk of the tree.
 



Now, I needed a tree angel. 

I scanned a photo of an old vintage china doll that has been handed down from my great grandmother. I printed her on laser paper, pasted her to some cardboard, added some netting, ribbons, wings and of course a heart. After wrapping my tree in red netting, better known as bridle tulle ... my heart tree was complete.

Ooh la la! Now I have a heart tree to share with my friends. My husband thought it was silly, but he’s an engineer and what does he know about the happiness us girls obtain from creating and crafting our art projects? One of my goals of 2010 was to make more time to “create” and not just commission projects or art to sell at art shows. Sometimes allowing our muse to take over is better therapy than a vacation, a visit from an old friend or chocolate ice cream.




 

 

 

 

 

At January 19, 2010 1:56 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...
Love the tree and all the ornaments GG. Of course men think it's silly, that's why we need GFs so much -- we understand and appreciate LOL. Congratulations on meeting several of your new year goals. You are really doing well. I love the top design on your blog also. You go girl, Lorraine  
At January 19, 2010 9:55 PM , Blogger Gayle Page-Robak said...
Gorgeous heart tree!! Love all the heart decorations on it as well. Great idea. I am so pleased you joined my followers list and I am pleased to be on yours now as well. I look forward to returning as often as I can to see more of your artwork. Congratulations on your new blog and good luck with keeping your goals! Hugs, Gayle (in Canada)