Tuesday, March 1, 2011

New Derby Divas ~ Inspiration from Churchill Downs

Lately, I've been attempting to spend more time in my studio and less time on the computer. Since I'm a geek who needs to seek a "Facebook Anonymous" support group, (plus, I also manage other websites) ... sometimes I squander too many hours before I realize there is little time left to create.
Kentucky Derby Diva, by GG Burns, 16 x 20 watercolor



Complicated in KY", by GG Burns, Mixed Media 12" x 12



At any rate, this spring I wanted to create some new pieces for upcoming spring art and gallery events. 

Everything in Kentucky, seems to revolve around horses, races and of course, the notorious KY Derby at Churchill Downs.  I have sketched horses, painted them in every medium and even collaged them on tiles. Even though they usually sell, I wanted to paint something other than horses.  There are hundreds of artist in Kentucky who have seized that market! 

To purchase wearable art featuring GG's Complicated in Kentucky, click here:

My first love with art was "fashion", even though I grew up around horses and have sketched horses since early childhood.  I studied fashion illustration in college and was actually a real life fashion illustrator for a large department store chain ~ long ago before the days of computers and digital cameras.  That said, I decided to paint something that reflected The KY derby other than horses.  If you have ever attended races at a horse track in KY, you will know it's the place for beautiful, colorful hats and well dressed spectators
"ROSE OF CHURCHILL", 
by GG Burns, Mixed Media 12" x 12"




I spent quite a bit of time, (hours actually)  ~ researching dozens of hat websites and images of women in their fine millinery.  These are just a few of my finished works. I hope to have a few prints made of these in the near future. Stay tune ... enjoy ~ gg




No comments: